Monday, March 11, 2013

Walluf ... a pleasant surprise

I am staying in this small hotel for 2 nights. I booked it on the internet which did NOT mention that the hotel was located IN (not ‘near’ or ‘at’) the train station. I selected it because it was at the top of my current price range (50€), it looked ‘cute’ and most importantly, it was near my target destination - Eltville. I had never even heard of this place called Walluf - but what a pleasant surprise.

After driving around trying to find number 11 Bahnhofstrasse* – even using my navigation system - it was difficult to find. I had to actually get out of the car and walk around.  Then and only then did I realize it was located over top of the train station!! I rang the bell, opened the door and was immediately confronted with a long flight of stairs which I knew there was no way I could climb with my luggage!! I was not a happy camper!! But I went to see the accommodations and was pleasantly surprised. The owners are quite friendly and the accommodations are nice. In fact, I am writing this from the breakfast room.

* German is a very descriptive language.  When a street is named Bahnhofstraße (train station street), it actually means the train station is located on that street. How clever…. Why on earth didn’t I realize that??? Oh, estrogen, estrogen wherefore art thou???

Even though the Lok-Inn is located at the train station - a very active train station - the hotel has been sound proofed so that you cannot hear the noise or even feel the vibrations of the trains.
 
And, Walluf has turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. A cute little village, directly on the water with a number of small restaurants and picturesque houses…and of course there is a path along the water which leads directly to Eltville. Walluf is a charming alternative to Eltville expensive prices. 

Check out my website for more on Walluf.

Does this look like a train station???  It really does not feel like one. Apparentl,y because the walls are so thick, you cannot feel the vibrations and the new windows keep out the noise. (And, the new owners - when doing their renovations for the past two years have installed a machine (not an air conditoner) just some sort of machine which brings in fresh air from outside.. without the noise.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment