Saturday, March 2, 2013

Friday … What a gem… Hot Spot et.al.


I have been having a difficult time getting good reception with my mobile surf stick, so I have been hanging out at every Mc’Ds that I can find.  But their wifi can only be used once per day, so  I bought 10 hours of Wifi time from  T-Mobile (10 hours valid for 30 days… paid directly online using Paypal).

Yesterday when I was in Bingen provisioning (I had run out of Prosecco and Brie), I decided to stop at a bakery - which turned out to be a full-scale cafeteria. Since it was late afternoon, I decided to have dinner there (baked fish filet and lots of potato salad – about 9€). It was good standard Bürgerliche Essen (Bürg. Ess. - German cuisine). Amazingly, the restaurant was filled with really senior citizens, all socializing with their friends.

Turns out this place is also  a T-mobile Hotspot -  so I quickly ran out to my car and got my laptop. I was such a ‘happy camper’!! This morning around 10, I went back. This time, the place was filled with business people (engineers and sales types - with large charts, work papers, PCs, IPADs) many of whom were speaking in English. Similar to the US, a waitress went from table-to-table offering more coffee – in English no less. The free coffee refill was untypical enough, but the waitress ‘happily’ speaking English – wow!! I only stayed for an hour, but as I was leaving I noticed that many of the people who were still there, had been there when I arrived. So I guess it is a real daytime hangout.  It is cafeteria style and the seating area is big and airy.. and there is also a glass enclosed dining area which gives you the feeling of sitting outside.

The bottom line: If you are in Bingen and are looking for a place to eat or get take-out for your journey, this is the place to go: Bäckhaus Lüning, Saarlandstrasse 66a, Bingen. They are open 7 days a week form at 8am to 6pm. I will be sure to put it on the website!!

No comments:

Post a Comment