Sunday, May 5, 2013

Oestrich-Winkel: Kühn’s Mühle – April 27


The farm house is rustic, very rustic.  In my room, I find a photocopy of the history of the place. Kühn’s Mühle (Kühn’s Mill) has been in the family since 1870, when Thomas Kühn bought the property at auction from the Herke family for 6,000 Gulden. (The Herke’s took their new found fortune and immediately set sail for America.)  

Thomas, the new owner,  found a bride  - Maria Schnorrenberger from Planig (near Bad Kreuznach) – and the history of Kühn’s Mühle began. On my last day, as I am preparing to leave I have a nice chat with Ruth Kuhn. Ruth and her husband, Werner (a big burly, but seemingly quiet vintner and writer of the Kühn history!!) run the place now. Four generations live there: Werner’s mother, Ruth and Werner, their grown son and daughter-in-law (who is pregnant with her second child), and their granddaughter Maya. (Shy, tow-head blonde 2 year old… plays a great game of peek-a-boo!!)

If you would like to read the story of Kühn’s Mühle, please  visit my website. www.roaming-thru-europe.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment