Sunday, May 5, 2013

Oestrich-Winkel – Driving thru the vineyards… 22 April


I driving on the Rhine river road, past Walluf, past Eltville, to the town of Oestrich-Winkel… a small wine-growing town on the banks of the Rhine. (The town is also home to the renowned – in Germany, at least - European Business School).

I chose this hotel because it looked like a rustic farmhouse. I drive up the main highway, and then take a turn inland. I drive through the very small streets of the town (actually more like a village) … two , three blocks. Then I am in the vineyards. I drive through the vineyards. There are no houses, only grape vines.  Finally after a few minutes, I see a bit of a valley with a house, a large farm house nestled in its bosom.  I drive towards it. After all, I have nothing to do other than follow my nose. (My GPS lady said I ‘had arrived’ minutes ago as I drove past the last house in the village.) I turn right and head down the very narrow road, and drive into the yard. I park, follow the sign to the hotel and walk up the stairs.  There is a note on the door written in German of course: be back in 5 minutes. So I wait. Finally a little old white hair lady shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment