Sunday, May 5, 2013

Oestrich-Winkel: the tinkle of bells - 23 April


I walk to my car, open the trunk and start trying to re-arrange things. I am working slowly and quietly only my upper body, which is deep in the trunk, is moving. I hear the gentle tinkle of bells. I look up three goats have come from the pasture and are now in the flower bed behind me nibbling away!! I stop what I am doing and watch them. When they realize I am there, they look at me and walk nonchalantly away.
 
A day or so later, I am in my room working. I can hear the tinkle of their bells. I go to the window and they are on the ridge of the hill playing.

The next day, as I walk towards the vineyards, I pass the barn where they live.  As they hear me approaching each one comes out into their yard, not to greet me but to look at me in absolute consternation… as if I am invading their territory… intruding on their privacy. Guiltily, I say a few words of greeting and quickly walk by. On my return trip, I take the path near the paddock and the horse. He doesn’t seem to care. I guess he is used to hikers and cyclists coming by.

No comments:

Post a Comment